Monday, 9 December 2013

We sleep in graves to stay alive!


On Saturday, I woke up pretty early to run some errands.

I decided however, to stop at the car wash to give my car a good deserved wash.
 
As I stood there, looking all fine and eating my chin-chin from Lagos Island, I got approached by all sorts of characters.  A drunk who insisted on sharing my isale-eko snack, a buffoon who thought speaking through his nose equates speaking 'phonetics'. Like I said, different characters.
 
However, I was approached by this two men who started of by asking how the fuel consumption of my vehicle was.
 
I thought 'eeeerrrh' move along please...
 
Somehow, they mentioned they were in the army and that got my immediate attention. I then proceeded to tell them about how I hated them and their sister defence organization-the police. I daresay, they got an earful.
 
Then they started narrating their own stories which stopped me in my tracks.
 
The both talked about how many of their colleagues had died because they were posted to areas like Maiduguri, Yobe etc. Men with young children, men whose children would grown up without a father. For the love of Nigeria.
 
They told me how sometimes, they hid in the bush for months, without the basic amenities of life No water, no food, no telephone calls, no sort of communication. Sometimes they said, they slept in graves for days just to avoid detection. They believed we are fighting a guerrilla war against a faceless people.
 
They said they would chase a Boko Haram suspect and the suspect would run into a home and the owners of the home, would hide the suspect.
 
They believed the Boko Haram facet is been sponsored internationally with some northern leaders serving as middle men.
 
As I heard all of their stories, I realised that many of us do not have a clue what is really going on in our country. When Boko Haram kills now, we don't even flinch, it becomes news till Iyanya releases a new single. Our leaders are so busy getting ready for re-election and stealing the country blind that our nation's security has become porous.
 
When will this all end? The security men are tired. No one is looking out for them. If the line of defence is weak, what hope is there for you and I?
 
We need to kill the beast NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment