Thursday, 18 April 2013

The endangered species.

Oh dear!
 
You didn't think I was going to speak about good women (did you?) lol.
 
The endangered species are (roll the drums...) -Good teachers
 
On my way to work today, many thoughts competed for my attention but the one that came to stay was about Mr. Olarenwaju and Mr. Fasina.
 
Mr. Olarenwaju was my maths teacher in Olashore International School. I was terrible at maths back then (but now I think I am much better  at it now because now I have to count my money and I count it well in figures and in cash)
 
I remember he called me after class one day and told me he would be giving me extra lessons in maths. I mean it was that bad, I was clueless. Mr Olarenwaju taught me maths a few times patiently. explaining what X was relating to subjects I loved like Literature etc. He was determined that maths was not gonna hinder me in life.
 
Now, Mr. Olarenwaju never got any kind of incentive from my parents because he never met them. I am not sure I ever told my parents what this kind elderly man did for me.

But he died when I was in JSS 3 but I remember then that I made a mental note to track his family down in the future and repay them one way or another for what this kind teacher did for me (that I have not done, yet! Lord Help!)
 
 
Enter Mr Fasina...
 
He was Vice-Principal Admin at the same school. He heard me sing once in JSS 1 and immediately cornered me. He recognized my talent. He began singing lessons with me every siesta time between mondays-fridays. (So while the whole school slept, I sang!). He would pick a musical piece from Handel, Bach, Mozart and I would spend the whole term rehearsing and then singing it in front of an audience at the end of the term. He did this for Yetunde Fabiyi,Funmi Aloba and one or two people.
 
And like Mr. Olarenwaju, he never got an incentive from my parents. He just trained a singing voice he recognised early. He imbibed good music and trained my ears to hear music, sounds and reject the (often misunderstood Nigerian noise called Music, yep, that I figured that out on my own)
 
I write today with some measure of pain because I know those types of teachers are few and far between. Everyone is looking for a quick Fix. No one wants to impart a life without making a buck on the side. (My parents run a school, so I have an idea of what I am saying)
 
So please post comments about teachers that helped you beyond the scope of their duties. Let us celebrate these endangered species. Perhaps the young teachers may learn from their predecessors. Perhaps we all may borrow a leaf and help those around us amplify their gifts or teach something they don't know.
 
 
Like I always say, it is just through my eyes.
 
Stay tuned for episode 2 of player of the year coming up next week wednesday.


Please go ahead and visit my other blogsite: www.stylesandweddingsbyilsa-aida.blogspot.com
          And look out for the new adverts coming up on the blog. Yay.

7 comments:

  1. Mr. Akinpelu- he was both my class and home teacher in primary school. I did not forget him at all because he wrote me letters when i was in college to encourage me and remind me on the need to continue studying even when in doubt and focus on impacting the society. to tell u the truth at a point i was tired of school,but when I read the letters (still have it) I adjust knowing someone believes in me aside from my family. Met him at a wedding recently and he was proud of what i had become, i followed him round to showcase his achievement as a good teacher to his friends and family.
    Dr. Ochulor- the lecturer who told my friends to tell me that i would fail his course, challenged my intellectual mind to ignore the obstacles and focus on success and i passed with an A. And ever since when i have matters i can not address i just replay his statement and focus believing i will achieve. The same replayed itself here in Aberdeen an A. Teachers play vital roles in shaping the destiny of a child, their words re echo the next move of a being.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thsnks so much Anonymous. For the remaining readers, write something! Honour your teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yetunde Adelopo (nee Fabiyi)Tuesday, 23 April 2013 at 23:30:00 GMT-7

    Hi ibilola, nice story but so real and true. I experienced firsthand the dedeication of this teacher and vice principal. I remember Mr Fashina asking us to repeat the songs over and over again (and I thought I was doing him a favor!) I av gone on to lead in choir and sing in various concerts.

    ReplyDelete