Sunday, 3 March 2013

How I won free 180,000 Naira shopping from Woolworths Nigeria.

                            George Essien, Mrs Akpan (Woolworths Officer) & Winner of the 180,000 naira free shopping (Ibilola Essien)

Have I mentioned I love shopping? I have scaled down a bit though. But not before my passion got me an unexpected reward.

It all started sometime when I had gone to the Woolworths store at the Palms in Lekki in 2012 to purchase a gift for a friend. I was a regular there because they catered to my mature classy need. (Or so i think). And even when i am not shopping, i look around so that if i see something i really liked i could come back to purchase.

 On that particular day, I was asked to fill a form so I could get a loyalty card. I didn't argue or ask questions. I did it sharply (I mean I am all for anything that will get me discounts, abi). 


Subsequently, when I went to purchase things I would whip out my card so they could put the amount against my loyalty card. I didn't expect anything save discounts now and then.


So imagine my surprise when I received a call on the 21st of February, 2013 from 'Lauretta' (the store manager)  that I had won 180,000 Naira worth of free shopping. Initially I thought the caller was a scam artist who had chosen me as prey. And I think because she knew how such a call may be perceived, she immediately told me that I wasn't required to pay any money. (Correct girl)

She followed the telephone call with an email three days later, requesting that I fill the form and print a copy and take to the store.  In addition, I received a text message congratulating me and two other winners. At this point, I was convinced it might actually be true. 

On the 28th of February, I made up my mind to go shop because one of the terms and condition was that I had to shop between the 24th of February & the 3rd of March, 2013. I arrived there late in the day but was determined to do justice with my win. (I even took my husband who I had guilt tripped into joining me from work, yea, that is how I do)

 Woolworths came through and even though I find their things rather pricey these days and have been tempted to shift my attention to the new 'MAX' store instead, I guess their loyalty card has attracted some sort of loyalty from me to them. And I will be.


So I report that the 180,000 free shopping prize is not a hoax. We shall see whether other stores will borrow from them.


                                              Yours truly, the free 180,000 Woolworths shopping crew.




7 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmmmm. Congrats Lola and Mighty. But pls, hope you guys got freebies for me as well? Else, go and hide before I return! @ George...see what luck shopping has brought? Lol. Enjoy n all d best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Nice piece sis..ur shoppaholic nature paid off *wink* :)

    ReplyDelete